11 March 2009

introductions

hello future faithful readers.  my name is joy.  in june i will be joining the united states peace corps.  
i first started thinking about peace corps a few years ago.  it was just a thought in the back of my head, and although i began an application then, i never moved very far in the process.  as i grew increasingly unhappy in my job, i started thinking of it more and more.  so about a year ago, i revisited that application i had begun.  i was intrigued and excited.  and scared.  i figured, it's an intense process to get into this program.  i would take it one step at a time, and i was certain i would encounter something that would stop me.  i refused to be excited about it for a long time because i was so sure something would stop the process.  
well, i applied.  i interviewed, wrote essays, completed a background check, gave fingerprints, went to the doctor, dentist, eye doctor.  and each step of the way i passed.  finally, in december, i received my invitation.  i was thrilled, to say the least.  but also scared.  i had been certain i would be disqualified somewhere along the line, and i wasn't.  
my dream job has three elements:  1. travel.  2. helping people.  3. art.  my assignment with the peace corps is to be a visual arts teacher to deaf students in ghana, west africa.  it's absolutely perfect.
so that brings me to now.  i leave in just under three months.  until then, i will be busy with work, beginning language lessons, packing or giving away everything i own, and cherishing time with my friends and family.  i expect to stay pretty busy with all of that!
i will update this as i learn more information (like my address so you can all start mailing me stuff so it will be there when i arrive!)


5 comments:

  1. excellent. i will always read your blog, joy...ALWAYS

    ReplyDelete
  2. gaaaaaaaah!!! i'm so excited for you, mighty oy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are excited for you! That does seem like a great job! It will be fun to follow you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wise chop, I mean choice, and it looks great!I'm happy for you, Joy. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Joy!
    This is so exciting! I'll be following your blog faithfully. I look forward to any little details. Sounds like a perfectly wonderful dream job!

    ReplyDelete