21 June 2009

ghananglish and other thoughts

that last entry was getting too long, so i made a new one.  
these are some of my thoughts and observations from being here.  
i am constantly amazed at how friendly ghanaians are.  i never actually know anything about where i am or where i am going.  and i rarely have to ask where to go, because people usually offer to help before i even have a chance to ask!    
OBRUNI is the twi word for white person or foreigner, and we hear it countless times each day.  the children especially enjoy saying it.  sometimes it sounds like a complete sentence.  obruni. sometimes children will follow us and chant it.  sometimes it is shouted like an announcement, so others know a white person is nearby.  
marriage proposals.  the main way that ghanaians joke is about marriage.  so, if they are being friendly, they ask you to marry them.  and like i said, the people here are VERY friendly!  but it's fun to joke back, like, my bride price is 50 goats; can you afford that?  or i can't marry you, i have to marry him first since he asked first.  
most ghanaians speak english, but it is different than american english.  they speak more slowly and with a bit of a british accent.  and many words have different meanings.  we are all learning to speak more slowly and avoid contractions and slang.  since i am learning sign language as well, i find myself speaking with my hands and gesturing often as well.  so when i come home in two years, don't surprised when i look and sound completely ridiculous while i am talking!  for instance, "i will go and come" means "i will be right back." sister and brother mean friend.  
gosh, there are so many other things i could tell you about, but it's hard to keep going!  
oh, before coming here, i read in my ghana travel book about the funny things people name shops and businesses here.  well, these names are EVERYWHERE.  i began to make a list of the best.  ghana is a very religious country, and sometimes they just think things sound nice.  it doesn't need to make sense, does it?
-Cod is Lord Carpet Center (i think it was supposed to be God)
-Strength in Suffering Fan Parts
-God is Able Special Rice
-The Lord is my Shepherd Malta Bursting with Goodness
just today we found our new favorite, on the back window of a tro-tro: "1+1=3 why?"
i will be getting a phone very soon, and i am sure i will find a way to get that number to all of you.  check with my mom for that.  incoming calls and texts are FREE to me, so i will leave it up to each of you to find a cheap way to call or text me.  that will be exciting.  
also, many thanks to those of you who wrote me letters!  so far i have received two from mom, one from audrey, and one from jessi.  looks like i'm averaging about 9 days from america to my hand, so not too bad!  i am winning in the letter count, so let's keep that up, ok?
congratulations to those of you who made it through this massive entry!  i look forward to hearing from you!

5 comments:

  1. I have a friend, Georgette, who will be located in the Ashanti region of Ghana. She has not had frequent internet access. We only have one email so far. Even though your experiences will be very different I will keep checking back to see how you are doing. Wish you all the best!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is on its way! I promise! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the process of writing you a letter. :-)
    So what's the name of the city your going to be living in when you move up north?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading your post. I find it very interested. Glad that you are enjoying it! I hope you enjoy teaching!! lol, I can not wait to hear some of those stories! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. It is awesome. It's so great to hear about what you're doing. I'm glad it's going so well!!!! Say hi to Baba for me because he sounds AWESOME. Also, how was the first day of teaching? Thanks for the shout out. I'm famous...miss you!!

    ReplyDelete