18 November 2010

catching the christmas spirit

once again, this year i'm having a hard time believing it is nearly christmas.
our average high temperature is 36 degrees celsius, so nearly 100 fahrenheit.
however, i am glad for the extreme dryness just now. harmattan is hot: during the day. but relief comes at night and in the early morning, and because of the total lack of humidity (in the north at least), if you are standing in the shade and get a good breeze, it can still be pleasant.
anyway.
i've started listening to christmas music. i love christmas. i love winter. but it just feels weird to hear "baby's it's cold outside" "or let it snow" play when i'm sweating profusely.
i had a fantastic moment of inspiration yesterday though. my jhs students have been working on calabash art, and i looked around my art closet and noticed a bag of baby gourds that have been there since forever.
and i realized, they will be PERFECT christmas ornaments! so today my jhs prep students scorched them. we kept it simple, just a ghana flag design on each one. but it's great: ghana's flag is red, gold, and green, with a black star in the center. JUST LIKE CHRISTMAS!
i think it's too late to get them to america in time for this year, but i'll see what i can do.
they don't decorate christmas trees here...

2 comments:

  1. Today is Thanksgiving day. I woke up to -10 degrees farenhiet. Yes, I said negative ten! Baby, it's cold outside. My husband and I will celebrate with a cornish game hen, potatoes and acorn squash. Also, a little bit of white wine for me. I'm thankful for your blogs.

    ReplyDelete