14 December 2010

not even close

i was resting at home on sunday afternoon. 
a couple of my students came and knocked at my door. they were asking for glue for their football. it had a leak, and they were going to try to patch it. i signed back that i didn't have glue here.
a couple minutes later, another knock on my door. i knew it was the deaf kids; their knocking is often very loud and frantic-sounding, since they can't hear themselves.
i went to the door again, slightly annoyed that they were bothering me so much when i was trying to rest. it was a different boy, asking for something different. it looked like he wanted tape, as if maybe they thought i would give them tape instead of glue. since he signed, "please, i beg you" and looked so desperate, i agreed, figuring maybe they would leave me alone if i just gave it to them.
so i went, got my tape and took it to him.
he laughed, and then spelled out what he had asked for: S-A-L-T.
whoops. different boy, different mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment