13 April 2011

mango gardens

the other day i went to a spot for the afternoon to read a book by myself for a while. the place i went is my favorite spot in wa, a place we call mango gardens because it is, indeed, a spot under a bunch of mango trees.
there is a playground nearby, which is one of the few playgrounds i've ever seen in ghana. the spot is usually fairly quiet, or at least not too many adults around. kids swarm the place, obviously.
so i spent a lovely afternoon, just me and my book (and some staring children).
and, as i've mentioned before, it is mango season. so every so often, i'd hear a THUNK and see a ripe mango fall from the tree. 
then the children would race over to it to try to be the lucky one to claim it. i guess it's the closest thing in ghana to an easter egg hunt.
i was just hoping the whole time that one wouldn't THUNK on my head!

2 comments: