25 August 2009

another window view

now that i have been living in wa for a week, i thought i'd tell you more about my house. i am still working on a few things inside my house, but i'll give you the window view in the meantime. so my house has many, many windows. being the ever-ridiculous american that i am, i stood outside two of my windows and my front door to take pictures for you. internet, you're welcome. i'm sure i looked like a fool.

the first picture is the view out my front door. it's a lovely strange tree, and behind it you can see my neighbor's garden. i'm hoping that once i get some seeds, she'll let me use some space there to attempt to grow things, if i can overcome my black thumb. there is a narrow path which leads between the garden and the wall. and actually, in the hour since i took this photo, some guys came through and cleared the path for me! so it's not narrow anymore, really. the school is gated, so the path is just a shortcut to the nearest entrance. on the other side of the wall are a few random shops and kiosks. i think we've got a hair braiding place, a seamstress, and a general goods store. it's not a busy street, so i really wonder how those places ever make any money!
next picture is the view out my kitchen. this is the random mess and construction scraps from my house, i guess. and in ghana, i'm doubting these items are ever cleaned up. in the background is the second bungalow that has been rebuilt. ours are the first two, and they are now working on a third along with a new dormitory, classroom block, and administrative building. exciting changes!
the last picture is the view outside my bedroom window. this is my neighbor's shed-like structure. she has a couple of goats tied up to it, which is odd. goats here wander free, so i'm thinking these will be her dinner in the next couple days. we'll see. they've tied some plants to the roof for the goats to eat, so they are keeping entertained, but these guys are what usually wakes me up each morning. it was a rooster my first couple days here, but i think he has relocated, or i've stopped hearing him.
so, welcome to my home! will you recognize it when you come to visit?

4 comments:

  1. I love your tree-unique! You are being observed. Someone noticed you walking the small path and soon the path is widen. So when does school start for you? Glad to hear you are in WA. If I send packages to Elyse, they come to WA. Maybe Elyse will share? --Elyse's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your view. Now we have an idea of what you see everyday. Do you think the rooster met his fate or just relocated?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. i love the goat. i can't wait to see the outside/inside of your house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Great post, Joy!
    And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete