05 August 2009

yes, i did.




my friend elyse and i decided to get our hair braided. for mine, it took six hours. and lots of weave. i made many friends, as the entire village seemed curious about that white girl getting braids. here are some pictures.
the two small girls are margaret and her sister (whose name i've forgotten). they were our "translators" and sat with me the entire six hours. the taller woman is the hairdresser. she and another woman spent six hours on my hair and only charged me 4 GHc. that's like three dollars. the weave was 3.50 GHc. putting me at a total of 7.50. what a steal. the other lady in the picture is a friend i made, mercy. she came in to have her hair brushed, but stayed for several hours. i think she was entertained by the whole scene. her daughter was with her, playing around the shop, and every so often coming up to me and touching my toe to see why it looked different than hers.
the daughter's name is davida. mercy told me to show this picture to all of my american friends, because she has no husband, just a baby, and if some nice american man wants to marry her, please, could i help her find him? certainly. this is my official attempt.

4 comments:

  1. haha. JOY, don't let word get out that you'll play matchmaker or you'll never, ever get a moments rest. That said, good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. that's great. also, your hair rocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i love the hair! I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did your scalp hurt afterwards?!

    So nice of you to try playing matchmaker!!!

    ReplyDelete