05 September 2009

27th birthday, ghana style

my friends elyse and jason came to town to spend the day with me for my birthday. we enjoyed fantastic fried rice, and when a man who was greeting us learned it was my birthday, he sang to me. it went: WE WISH YOU A um, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
merry christmas, happy birthday, same difference.
we came home and made peanut butter chocolate MILKSHAKES. (can you believe it? i still cannot.)
then we went back to town, where i had my first fufu. fufu is the most common dish served in ghana, and somehow i lived here three months without ever trying it. so for my birthday, that's what we did.
i realized once we finished it that we should have put my birthday candle in the fufu so i could have blown it out, but it was too late.
it was, overall, a simple yet splendid day.
many thanks for all the packages! i had four wonderful packages to open for my birthday, full of chocolate and cheese and stickers for my kids.

4 comments:

  1. Joy,
    Happy Birthday to you! Sounds and looks like you celebrated in style. Is the fufu spicy? You are a beautiful young woman and the pearls are a nice birthday touch! Happy celebration! Elyse's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKES! I cannot believe it. How did you arrange such a delicacy? I'm so glad you had friends around on your birthday!! You didn't say, but how was the fufu?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to you! :-) BabyJ says happy birthday too. Glad it was a special day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! What is fufu? Sounds exotic! Where are Alyse and Jason stationed? Did they have to come far?

    ReplyDelete