20 September 2009

a mutual understanding

every evening, as i sit in my living room, i am visited by many guests. sure, some are human, but most are of the insect variety.
they come in under my front door, mostly, and sometimes through the screens in my windows. all varieties: ants, beetles, crickets, spiders, grasshoppers, lightning bugs, and weird ones i can't identify.
they come in and fly around, swarm my light, and crawl around my walls.
they do their thing, have a big party every night.
but they are kind guests. they clean up after themselves every time.
the spiders catch and kill the grasshoppers. the ants carry away the dead beatles. they all work together and clean up all evidence of their crazy party.
then the next morning, when i sweep my living room, there is no evidence of the good time they had just hours before.
such kind guests. i guess i don't mind terribly.

6 comments:

  1. That's so thoughtful of them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post made me nauseous but i'm so glad you are coping well with the little intruders :) haha i like how you take something like BUGS and turn it into a sweet, happy, thankful blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likely better house-guests than the human variety! Although, if I ever get the chance, I'll test the theory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, have classes started? Do you have a list of art supplies needed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would be so uptight about that....way to handle your visitors with grace, you always were the quite the hostess. i'm glad ghana hasn't changed that about you!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete