20 April 2010

totally worth it

there might be some very civilized, very polite way to eat a mango, but i have not discovered it. 

whenever i bite into the wonderful, juicy sweetness of the mango, right away my teeth fill with the fibrous pulp.  as i try to pick the bright yellow vampire-like fangs of mango threads from between my teeth, the juice starts dripping into my hand from the piece i'm still holding.  then it starts dripping down my arm.  if i'm lucky, i can catch it before it gets to my elbow, and i lick the juice back all the way to my hand.  then, when i've eaten through the peel, the insides get so slippery that it slides all over and i almost drop it several times, all the while picking at my teeth and licking to my elbow. 

i know every time that this will happen, but i just can't resist the mango.  i need to start hiding in my house when i eat them, i think.

5 comments:

  1. :-) We love you despite your manners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is how. Gently squeeze or knead the ripe yellow mango between your palms for a couple of minutes and punch a very small hole on the top of it with a knife. Squeeze the juice into your waiting mouth. No juice on your hands or elbows nor fibrous pulp between your teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I don't believe I've ever eaten a mango. Now, I need to go looking for one. I'm sure though, what ever I find, can in no way compare to the ones you are enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in Cambodia we PCV's eat a LOT of mangoes. I took mango cutting lessons from my host mom, and I'm pretty much a pro now. There really is no way to do it without getting your hands all slippery, but once you figure out how to slice it close to the seed, you're golden.

    I should make a diagram for all us poor PCV's who can buy pre-sliced mango back in the states.

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete