25 May 2009

dear worriers,

please don't worry.
thousands of people have gone before me.
i leave in a week, and once i am gone, please remember that no news is good news.  for my first three months in ghana, i will be very busy.  i will have both limited time for internet and limited access to internet.  if you don't hear from me for a very long time, just assume i am happy and healthy and loving life.  
if you do hear from me, it will just be a bonus.  i will do my best to keep my loyal fans updated about my ghanaian life, but be patient!
brief rundown (again) of my schedule:
june 2/6:45am: fly to philly and have general orientation session
june 3: get shots and fly out of jfk in the evening direct to accra, ghana
june 4: arrive in ghana
next 4ish days: stay in accra and attend more general orientation sessions
next 5ish days: VISION QUEST.  the name of that amuses me.  travel to a current volunteer's site, stay with that person and see what the heck i've gotten myself into.
next 10ish weeks: live with a ghanaian family in a small village about two hours from accra.  within a week or so i will learn my permanent site location.  we will have classes six days a week in language/culture/medical/safety.  teachers will have a three week crash course in teaching.  at some point i will travel for about 5 days to my permanent site to check it out and make connections.
august 13: swear in as a peace corps volunteer and move to my permanent site
september 2: my birthday (just a reminder!)

5 comments:

  1. YES. vision quest sounds like good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hearing from you is ALWAYS bonus. also, i have a few ideas about what vision quest could be-just remember-be true to yourself and you will find what you seek on the vision quest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY! You don't know me but I'm going to Ghana in the same group as you, and I'm going to be a visual art teacher at a deaf school too! You should email me at katharyn.reed@gmail.com
    or Facebook me (Kathar Yn) - it would be great to talk to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm pretty sure that Sully on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman went on a vision quest. I bet he took bucket baths, too. So really, you two will have a lot in common.

    iloveyou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you'll be busy! Craig and I are actually going through Philly on our way to Ireland, only we'll be there on May 31st and June 10th. Looking forward to writing with our classes next year. :)

    ReplyDelete